15.4.11

the modern gibson girl

(Outfit: H&M blouse; thrifted "shorts"; Vigoss oxfords)

Hello! Like my skirt? ... well, surprise, they're actually shorts! Or perhaps culottes, or a skort, or capris. I'm not quite sure what to call it, really. I just know it was less than a dollar at The Garment District's Dollar-A-Pound, and as I can never resist anything high-waisted and nautical themed, I snatched it up. As you probably figured out from my post's title, I modeled this outfit after one of my favorite fashion icons, the lovely Gibson Girls!



Then in the summer, I think I'll pair it with a bright 1940s style blouse and espadrilles for a pin-up worthy seaside look.

And yes, oh my gosh, this outfit is entirely modern! And my hair is down and un-set! Of course, my 1940s wool coat and the antique lace scarf I tied in my hair before going out made it all better ; ) Much as I respect the girls who wear off-the-rack clothes and look fabulous, I suffer from acute vintage withdrawals if I dress in head-to-toe modern for too long, and have to run to my closet for a fix of faded calico and decaying silk, haha.


(Click any image for a larger/less blurry view)

(hahaha... I like how I have random vintage garments hanging everywhere; hey, it's like three outfits in one post! This blue sailor dress to my left is in line to get hemmed, and the Victorian bodice and 50s crinoline in the top pic are too delicate to stuff in my crowded closet)

♥ I'll see you Monday, with a tour of the pretty abandoned cottage I've been promising! ♥
(...and my outfit, of course-- a cornflower blue 1940s dress in this fabric:)

19 comments:

  1. well those shorts had me fooled!
    l love fabric, and yes, i feel guilty when i don't wear at least one item of vintage clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so gorgeous! Who would have thought they were shorts? tricksy little things :) I adore the rope detailing!
    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Gibson girl aswell. The edwardian era is definately my fav. In my most recent post you can see that I actually have that drawing hanging in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for bringing those gibson girl styles back real badly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, your hair is incredible as is your outfit.
    Had you not told me I would have had no idea that this outfit is entirely modern or that you are wearing shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To takes a true vintage lady to make an ode to era outfit with modern pieces! What an inspiration you are!

    xo, Strawberry Moth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been thinking a lot about the Gibson girls & other early American illustrations as of late. You definitely look like one of em”. I love those culottes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Edwardian era is definitely one of my faves... this has to be one of my favorite outfits yet! I think it's the sk-orts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! Your hair makes me so envious. :) I know what you mean about wearing vintage; my wardrobe isn't nearly as expansive as yours, but I'm slowly building it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find! I have a few pairs of culottes - so great for being all practical on a windy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so cute! I don't think with my big butt I could ever pull those shorts off, but they look great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you totally nailed the gibson girl look! and how awesome that you chose them for an outfit inspiration. cant wait for the abandoned cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are stunning and your style is so beautiful, you brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a cute little outfit, i simply adore everything you wear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You all are too sweet <3
    Thanks so much for your lovely words!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this modern Gibson Girl look, which you embody to perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that they're shorts and not a skirt. Shorts, which look like a skirt, are a very good alternative for summer, because you don't have to worry about flashing your underwear, if it windy. I've got a pair of wide-legged shorts from primark, but they're unfortunately not that high-waisted. I like yours much more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Dakota, this is my first time here but I'm in love with your blog! Loving your style!
    And this blouse is great.
    :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the nautical shorts, I like how they can be styled for cooler weather and also for the coming warmer months! You definitely could be a Gibson girl, especially with the little lace blouse and high waist of the shorts.

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥