3.11.11

season of the witch

Hallowe'en may be over, but I think November is truly the spookiest month of all. The days of ever-grey skies, the frosty moonlit nights, the barren fields and skeletal tree branches... it's just the right time to makeup your face like you're Pola Negri and slink around in eerily archaic black rags. Here are some pictures, and some music, along this theme.

✯ Clarence John Laughlin 
Sounds, Pt. I
✯ Ellen Rogers 
Glass Magazine
Curious Science
Molly Crabapple

 Sounds, Pt. II





7 comments:

  1. Woahhh! No idea where you got those last few pictures of the women but the colors are fantastically dark :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, thanks for including the Blanche video - one quick listen and I think I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Snow Child, the first set of photographs is by Clarence John Laughlin, and the second by Ellen Rogers. If you click on her pictures they'll take you to her flickr, where much more beauty abounds!

    Laurie, I'm so glad you liked them! I think they may be my favorite modern band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely but spooky photo set! I was really excited to see '100 Years From Now' as it is the one Karen Elson song I really really like! A good song for that November-y mood..
    - Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiration pictures and sounds. I agree with you - November is wonderfully atmospheric. I love the closing in of the days, the arrival of frosts, the shorter days and dark skies... before Christmas comes in with all its glitz and distraction from nature's somber beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you're right! These images are super spooky and November is quite the strangely spooky month. So close to the vibrancy of fall and yet not quite in the festivities of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The topless girl reminds me of a Edvard Munch painting!

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥